Complete the 2019 Workshop Survey:
Illinois Materials Research Laboratory
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Tuesday & Wednesday, June 4 & 5, 2019
The workshop provides an overview and critical comparison of major analytical techniques for materials characterization (AFM, SEM, TEM, XRD, DSC, Raman, XPS, etc.) with emphasis on practical applications in Engineering and the Physical and Life Sciences. Presentations and instrument demonstrations span basic to advanced topics suitable for both novice and experienced scientists. Walk-through examples focus on problem-solving strategies, instrument resolution requirements, potential artifacts in data collection, and tips for data interpretation.
- Atomic force microscopy (AFM) and nanoindentation
- Focused ion beam (FIB) for sample preparation and nanofabrication
- Scanning and electron microscopy (SEM, TEM, STEM) including energy dispersive x-ray spectroscopy (EDS) and electron energy-loss spectroscopy (EELS)
- Ellipsometry, FTIR, Raman, photoluminescence, confocal microscopy and spectroscopy in general
- X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) and Auger electron spectroscopy (AES)
- Secondary ion mass spectroscopy (SIMS) and Rutherford backscattering spectroscopy (RBS)
- X-ray diffraction (XRD), reflectivity (XRR), fluorescence (XRF) and small-angle x-ray scattering (SAXS)
- Differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), differential thermal analysis (DTA), particle size analysis, thermogravimetric analysis (TGA)
- Special session on polymers and soft materials, including microscopy of biological specimens
- MRL staff scientists with years of hands-on experience in materials characterization
- Industrial scientists introducing new technology and new instrumentation
- Vendor exhibit show with live instrument demos and scientists on-site discussing advanced applications
- Several networking opportunities including evening reception, breaks and lunches
- Tours of the MRL laboratories
Registration is still open and we welcome you to participate! You will be able to enjoy all workshop sessions, breakfast each day, morning and afternoon breaks and two evening receptions. Due to deadlines, there is a possibility that lunch will not be available for late registrants. Please see a staff member during the lunch break and we will do what we can to accommodate your request. Enjoy the workshop!
Click here to register.
Recent Advancements in Nanoscale IR Spectroscopy and Imaging, Anirban Roy, Qichi Hu, Honghua Yang, Miriam Unger and Curtis Marcott, Bruker Nano Surfaces Division
Where do Drug Molecules go Inside of Cells? A New Method to Probe the Composition of Cellular Organelles, Ashley Ellsworth, Physical Electronics, USA
Optical Characterization Methods, Julio A.N.T. Soares, Ph.D.
An Introduction to Scanning Electron Microscopy and Focused Ion Beams, Jim Mabon, Wacek Swiech, Hongui Zhou, CQ Chen and Jade Wang, Materials Research Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Rutherford Backscattering Spectrometry, Timothy P. Spila, Ph.D., Materials Research Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry, Timothy P. Spila, Ph.D., Materials Research Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Transmission Electron Microscopy, Jim Mabon, Wacek Swiech, CQ Chen and Honghui Zhou, Materials Research Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
X-ray Analysis, Mauro Sardela, Jr., Materials Research Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign